Based on human-oriented management principles,
SK bioscience has adopted SHE (Safety Health Environment) and established and followed a roadmap
to establish a safe working environment, prevent employee health problems, and support global environmental protection activities.
SK bioscience is implementing various SHE activities in response
to the increase in stakeholder expectations and demands in terms of sustainable social value.
In the safety, health, and environmental management system,
SK bioscience is actively conducting safety, environmental and health activities
to prevent and control accidents, such as safety education and joint safety inspection,
against the overall value chain including suppliers.
1. Certification of safety and health management systemIn 2018, we acquired ISO45001 certification, an international standard safety, and health management system. We are operating safety and health strategies based on this system taking account of the needs of our employees and stakeholders, and planning to promote diverse safety and health activities.
2. Working group dedicated to SHEWe have a SHE working group with national technical qualifications related to SHE tasks, such as safety, health, environment, and firefighting. The working group is continuously conducting activities to reduce risk factors in the site through various inspections and improvement activities.
3. Improvement of workplace safety cultureWe discuss ways to improve the safe environment through meetings and discussions with safety managers from our workplaces, plant workshops, and safety and health committees, and share best practices between workplaces with all employees.
4. Emergency Response ProcedureL House (Andong Vaccine Plant) has established and run detailed responses, in both organizational and procedural terms, for possible emergency cases to minimize any human, environmental, and physical damages.
- Establish emergency-specific responses to minimize the risks
- Clarify the targets, organizations, roles, and responsibilities of individual responses
- Define the tools and resources that can be mobilized to minimize the damages in emergencies
5. Product Quality Management and Safety TrainingSK Bioscience endeavors to ensure the product quality and safety with regard to what and how it produces and conducts enterprise-wide quality and safety training for all members every year.
- Conduct regular quality training for maintaining and controlling the quality
- Conduct regular safety trainings that cover the entire process including production and management
- Leverage the two-way training system based on the engagement of all members
SK bioscience runs various programs related to sustainable health and
safety policies and spares no effort to strengthen safety and health among its members.
1. Health checkups and care for employeesWe provide regular health checkups to employees and operate a healthcare office that provides various health services including health counseling, first aid service, prevention of health problems caused by harmful substances, management of musculoskeletal disorders, and prevention of work stress.
2. Industrial hygiene managementWe prevent occupational diseases that may occur on the worksites due to the handling of hazardous substances through periodic work environment measurement and prevent and manage musculoskeletal diseases through risk assessment of the process.
SK bioscience is striving to reduce energy and water resources, minimize water pollutants,
and increase the recycling rate of waste by improving production processes so that negative impact on the
environment is minimized and the working and living condition is pleasant and safe.
Specific Policies for Environmental Management
SK bioscience HQ and R&D Center acquired ISO14001 (Environmental Management System) certification,
and L House (Andong Vaccine Plant) has established its own specific policies on environmental management to base its operations on.
Protecting the Earth Environment
Compliance with environmental laws, conventions and regulations
Efficient use of resources and energy
Prevention of Environmental Pollution and Chemical Leakage Accident
Environmental Management Targets
Reduce carbon emissions by 50% by 2030 and achieve carbon neutrality (Net Zero) by 2050
Reduce fossil fuel consumption
Expand eco-friendly energy facilities
Have carbon reduction/offset activities in place
Zero landfill wastes through the establishment of a recycling system
Convert to eco-friendly/green materials
Zero landfill wastes through investment in waste recycling facilities
Root out the risk of environmental pollution and chemical leak incidents
Continuously monitor process flows with the building-integrated management system (BMS)
Minimize negative impact through proactive control of environmental factors in the planning stage
Environmental Management Performance
1. Acquired the gold-level LEED certificationL House (Andong Vaccine Plant) complies with GMP regulations and saves 30% more energy than the existing plants as built with a new design that introduces 16 new technologies such as energy and water resource reduction, environment-friendly/well-being technology, and eco-friendly living facilities such as LED lighting and recycling of toilet water. As a result, in 2013, it became the only pharmaceutical plant to acquire the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold rating and was certified as an eco-friendly pharmaceutical plant.
2. Recycling of resourcesL House (Andong Vaccine Plant) uses water from the Andong Water Purification Plant, which collects water from Lake Andong and recycles water discharged from the production process to reduce water resource consumption. In addition, we are raising the waste recycling rate through various waste reduction activities and campaigns.
3. Water conservationWastewater from the production process at L House (Andong Vaccine Plant) is neutralized and then sent to the wastewater facility in Gyeongbuk Bio Industrial Complex for wastewater treatment with regular measurements and monitoring taken for water quality control.
4. Environmental management due diligenceL House (Andong Vaccine Plant) conducts annual environmental impact due diligence for the entire workplace.
Has passed the Ministry of Environment inspections from 2018 to 2021 without any significant penalty and sanction
Carries out annual enterprise-wide cross-sectional environment inspection to ensure its EMS compliance
Conducts annual status check regarding hazardous materials and wastes to ensure regulatory compliance and derive improvements
5. Wastes from the workplaceL House (Andong Vaccine Plant) introduced eco-friendly technologies (e.g., treated water recycling, and use of rainwater and eco-friendly refrigerants) and facilities for prevention/control of indoor pollutants as well as Bio-Kill facilities, further reducing hazardous substances and wastes while meeting both surging production and waste reduction targets.
(*Waste Emission Per Revenue)
|2019||Waste||188||≤ 0.15||0.102||≥ 20%||27%|
|2020||188||≤ 0.15||0.104||≥ 23%||24%|
|2021||344||≤ 0.1||0.035||≥ 25%||27%|
|2022||≤ 0.1||-||≥ 27%||-|